As the leading innovator in the toy industry, Mattel approaches business with a forward-looking commitment to the world in which children live and play. We view sustainability as an investment in the current and future generations on whom our business focuses. Our strategic approach to sustainability, "Re-imagine the way we play," inspires the company to make continuous improvement through our three related platforms:
- Design it with the end in mind,
- Make it with eco-efficiencies, and
- Live it with personal commitment
Our Sustainable Sourcing Principles for the procurement of packaging and product comprised of paper or wood fiber supports all three of these platforms by establishing a commitment to diligently improve how we conserve these resources, advance our responsible sourcing practices, and seek to encourage our supply chain partners to do the same.
Mattel's Sustainable Sourcing Principles
Mattel is committed to advancing the use of sustainably-sourced paper and wood fiber1
in our packaging and products. Mattel will strive to implement these fundamental principles to guide our efforts and maximize, to the extent feasible, the use of post-consumer recycled content and sustainable fiber.
- Maximize post-consumer recycled content where possible, while maintaining packaging and product integrity and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Avoid fiber from controversial sources, by ensuring that:
- Fiber source origin is known and traceable,
- Fiber source is harvested in compliance with applicable laws and regulations (sub-national, national and international),
- Fiber source is not harvested in violation of internationally accepted guidelines and treaties to protect the human rights of indigenous peoples,
- Fiber source is not originating from locations identified by credible scientific sources as containing High Conservation Value Forest, and
- Fiber source not originating from recently converted natural forests2 for the purposes of timber production plantations or for other non-forest uses.
- Increase the use of wood/fiber that has been verified/certified by a credible third-party forest certification scheme with preference for those that exhibit the highest standards and robust audit processes.
- Adopt and periodically refine procedures designed to ensure that our sourcing practices are developed and implemented in accordance with these principles.
- Establish specific goals to measure our progress.
- Support multi-stakeholder efforts to protect global forest resources.
- Report publically on our ongoing progress.
Through these principles we seek to do our part to promote sustainable forestry practices and to communicate with our stakeholders about the journey on which we have embarked.