Brand Announces ‘You Can Be Anything’ Virtual Series, Featuring Role Models Yara Shahidi, Adwoa Aboah and More
Ahead of International Women’s Day, Barbie® is continuing to show girls they can be anything by spotlighting role models like Yara Shahidi, Adwoa Aboah and more who paved the way for future generations of girls to dream bigger with its first-ever digital series for families featuring female role models, fun activities and exciting performances every Saturday during the month of March.
“With over 60 years of history inspiring the next generation, Barbie continues to stay relevant by being everywhere our consumers are and engaging fans in new ways,” said Lisa McKnight, Senior Vice President and Global Head of Barbie and Dolls, Mattel. “With the virtual event space growing exponentially, we are leaning in with innovative online experiences authentic to our brand DNA, like the Barbie You Can Be Anything Series, to connect female role models who have broken boundaries with families and remind them that kids will become the leaders of tomorrow.”
The brand is also introducing Eleanor Roosevelt as the latest historical role model to join the Inspiring Women™ series and furthering its commitment to close the Dream Gap by partnering with Girls Leadership to fund girl-led research on media representation and a PowerLab classroom designed to address implicit bias in the classroom, internalized racial bias and inequities in representation.
Barbie is inspiring girls around the world ahead of International Women’s Day by:
- LAUNCHING THE BARBIE™ YOU CAN BE ANYTHING™ VIRTUAL SERIES connecting Barbie fans with today’s prominent role models beginning on Saturday, March 6 at 10:00 a.m. PST.
- Streaming for parents and kids on Barbie’s Facebook and YouTube channels, the You Can Be Anything series provides fun, easily-digestible, and compelling interactive content for families and girls to drive home the message that they can become the leaders of tomorrow.
- The cross-generational content consists of four thematics we know families and girls are interested in: Your Voice, Music & Dance, STEAM, and Sports & Wellness.
- The curated series includes inspiring, interactive, and educational 20-30 minute live streams with today’s most prominent female leaders, trailblazers and influencers including actress and changemaker, Yara Shahidi; fashion model and activist, Adwoa Aboah; young activist Mari Copeny, young activist, Havana Chapman-Edwards and many more.
- New content will air every Saturday during the month of March at 10:00 a.m. PST / 1:00 p.m. EST:
- Saturday, March 6th: Your Voice
- Saturday, March 13th: Music & Dance
- Saturday, March 20th: STEAM
- Saturday, March 27th: Sports & Wellness
- INTRODUCING THE LATEST BARBIE INSPIRING WOMEN DOLL honoring longest-serving First Lady of the United States, UN Spokesperson, and human rights activist, Eleanor Roosevelt.
- Barbie Inspiring Women Series shows girls historical and present-day role models who paved the way for generations of girls to dream bigger than ever before.
- A champion of policies around civil and economic rights, Eleanor Roosevelt’s passionate advocacy was unwavering, even when faced with resistance. Earning the title “First Lady of the World” for her hard work and dedication to humanitarian efforts, Eleanor Roosevelt’s perseverance redefined the role of women in politics and public life.
- Earlier this year, the series paid tribute to its tenth honoree, poet, author, and activist, Dr. Maya Angelou, who joined nine others including Billie Jean King, Ella Fitzgerald, Florence Nightingale, Susan B. Anthony, Amelia Earhart, Katherine Johnson, Frida Kahlo, Rosa Parks, and Sally Ride.
- The Eleanor Roosevelt Inspiring Women doll will be sold at retailers nationwide beginning March 3.
- CONTINUING THE MISSION OF THE BARBIE DREAM GAP PROJECT by dedicating resources to like-minded organizations in support of closing the Dream Gap .
- Now in its third year, the Barbie Dream Gap Project, the brand’s ongoing social mission initiative to level the playing field for girls globally, is providing funding to a new partner - Girls Leadership.
- The donation will help fund a girl-led research project focusing on girls’ media representation and self-perception and a Girls Leadership PowerLab.
- Girls Leadership will help close the Dream Gap by establishing a partnership with an elementary school that serves predominantly girls of color to create a Power Lab school to build relationships with girls in grades K–2, listen to them, and design programs and activities that center their needs, including addressing implicit bias in the classroom, internalized racial and gender bias, and inequities in representation.
- Additionally, Barbie Dream Gap Project curriculum created in partnership with UCLA Center for Scholars & Storytellers and piloted in an El Segundo school district will be digitized to be virtual and digitally accessible nationwide – beginning later this month. The curriculum focuses on key learning themes of brilliance, careers and leadership will be distributed with an online teacher training with take home parent materials available in Spanish and English.
Follow @barbie on social media to join in the celebration using #YouCanBeAnything.
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie®, Hot Wheels®, Fisher-Price®, American Girl®, Thomas & Friends®, UNO® and MEGA®, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential.