- Mattel-branded indoor interactive entertainment centers will bring Mattel’s iconic brands to life by combining physical and digital play experiences and offering, events and experiential retail
- First location to open in Toronto in 2020; additional locations planned to roll-out globally
- Centers to be created and operated in partnership with iP2Entertainment, a leading provider of out-of-home experiential entertainment and destinations
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., May 2, 2019 – Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) today announced plans to create the first multi-branded family entertainment centers featuring Barbie® and Hot Wheels®, with a global roll-out beginning in 2020. The centers, featuring immersive, hands-on play and entertainment experiences, will bring Mattel’s iconic brands to life by combining physical and digital play. Experiences, including content and attractions, will be geared toward families with children ages four to ten.
The first of these Mattel-branded family entertainment centers is a 25,000-square foot space set to open in Spring 2020 in Toronto. The centers, to be created in partnership with iP2Entertainment, a leading provider of out-of-home experiential entertainment destinations, will feature distinctly themed areas for Barbie, Hot Wheels and Mega Construx®. Each themed area will offer a range of unique and creative play possibilities for kids and families that will:
- Reaffirm that girls can be anything they want as they explore a magical Barbie mini-world filled with near limitless possibilities. This experience draws on the brand’s mission to support 21st century learning skills through play – specifically creativity, communication and collaboration
- Ignite kids’ challenger spirit by putting them in the driver’s seat for experiential activities –including customizing their own Hot Wheels car, designing their race track and creating custom rides they can experience on a massive racing simulator
- Challenge kids and families to design, build and test their construction skills in the ultimate Mega Construx building scenarios
In addition to these brand-themed areas, the centers will offer events such as family game night, experiential retail and high-quality food and beverage options.
“The family entertainment centers will extend the emotional connection of our brands with kids and allow Mattel to continue to bring wonder and imagination to families,” said Janet Hsu, Chief Franchise Management Officer, Mattel. “The family entertainment centers offer a powerful combination of physical and digital play that give kids the chance to interact with Barbie, Hot Wheels and Mega Construx through live events and experiences, gaming and content.”
Roger Houben, CEO, iP2Entertainment, said: “Our partnership with Mattel reimagines the indoor entertainment center experience, which, until now, has seen limited innovation for nearly four decades. Together, we’ll create brand new physical and digital play-based experiences for kids that will get them moving and engaged in ways that no small screen device could.”
Mattel is a leading global children's entertainment company that specializes in design and production of quality toys and consumer products. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic franchises, including Barbie®, Hot Wheels®, American Girl®, Fisher-Price®, Thomas & Friends® and MEGA®, as well as other popular brands that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 40 locations and sell products in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world's leading retail and technology companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in exploring the wonder of childhood and empowering kids to reach their full potential. Visit us online at
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org